Did you know that improper sitting also causes headaches, stress and problems with the eyes and spine?
Follow the nine rules on how to sit properly in front of a screen.
- The screen should be at eye level and at least 50cm away from your eyes. The ideal distance is about an arm's length.
- Do eye exercises several times throughout the course of the day.
- The keyboard and screen must be level.
- Don't let your fingers hover in the air above your mouse.
- Hold the mouse in your palm and move it with your wrist straight.
- Remove anything you don't need from your desk.
- Make sure your arms up to your elbows are resting on the table or on the chair arms.
- Make sure your work area is at the correct height.
- Sit up straight and have lumbar support.
Easy-to-do eye exercises
Look away from the screen, look out the window, at a picture on the wall or elsewhere in the room.
Sit still and keep your head still, too.
- up, down, left and right, breathe calmly,
- look up diagonally to the right, down to the left, down to the right, up to the left.
Repeat these exercises and continue breathing calmly.
Our comprehensive and effective programme on preventing work-related musculoskeletal disorders was awarded by the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work (EU-OSHA) and the Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities. Read more→