Responsibility to community
The Triglav Group is closely involved in the environment in which it operates and fulfils its corporate social responsibility through various prevention activities, voluntary work of employees and partnerships with the local community.
Prevention activities aimed at reducing risks are an important guideline for sustainable operations of insurance companies. These activities are defined in internal documents and measures.
In 2016, a total of EUR 2.9 million or 9% less than in the previous year was allocated to prevention activities of the Triglav Group and EUR 1.3 million or 7% less to those of Zavarovalnica Triglav. The main focus was on reducing the risks of fire. For the third consecutive year, a portion of funds allocated for corporate gifts was used for preventive actions across Slovenia.
Funds allocated to prevention activities of the Triglav Group in 2014–2016
The share of Zavarovalnica Triglav’s funds for prevention activities by purpose
Major road safety projects carried out in 2016:
- In partnership with the Vozim Institute, the interactive workshops "I still drive – but I don't walk” were organised for secondary school students who were also acquainted with the DRAJV application aimed at improving safe driving. The personal stories of lecturers – people who were injured in road accidents were heard by 11,154 pupils at 150 workshops.
- The activities of the DRAJV mobile application for safe driving were upgraded.
- Four new dangerous road sections were fitted with the COPS@road warning system. As the result, safety has been improved on 16 dangerous road sections in cooperation with Aktivna signalizacija Korun. In all road sections equipped with this system, traffic telemetry will be performed and road accident statistics monitored.
- At the beginning of the new school year, more than 35-year-old tradition was continued by donating yellow neckerchiefs to more than 22,000 first graders. Together with the Public Agency for Traffic Safety, a series of videos on road safety was recorded for elementary schools. Zavarovalnica Triglav’s mascot Kuža Pazi (Watch Out Doggy) reminded school children, parents and drivers of road safety in over 60 elementary schools and kindergartens.
- In the 2016/2017 school year, the Safety Tunes international awareness-raising programme for road traffic safety is being implemented in five Slovene secondary schools in cooperation with the Automobile Association of Slovenia (AMZS). As many as 5,000 pupils are included in the programme.
- In the AMZS Safe Driving Centre in Vransko, the traditional educational and charity events "Motorcyclists for Motorcyclists'’ were organised, at which 209 motorcyclists refreshed their driver knowledge and tested their driving skills in various dangerous situations. The Company co-financed the purchase of motorcycling and road accident rescue equipment.
- Moreover, support was provided for the long-term ecological research study Varna vrnitev (Safe Return) aimed at increasing air traffic safety. The study will contribute to the reduction of claims for the damage incurred during take-off and landing due to bird strike as well as to the protection of biodiversity at the airport site and the surrounding areas.
- The Company co-financed the installation of safety nets and fences on ski slopes.
- The Company participated in the execution of safe driving courses for drivers – paramedics of the Koroška Emergency Rescue Service.
- Lovćen Osiguranje, Podgorica supported preventive actions in road traffic.
- In the framework of the “Together Calming the Traffic” project and in collaboration with Sipronika, Zavarovalnica Triglav installed 15 computer screens in school lobbies, on which children and their parents can monitor the speed statistics of the cars in the vicinity of schools and kindergartens. By co-financing the your Speed Signs, the Company contributed to better road safety in the vicinity of schools and kindergartens and on routes to school.
Other prevention projects
- Within the framework of the third New Year's prevention campaign "For a Better Tomorrow", Zavarovalnica Triglav supported 23 prevention projects in local communities throughout Slovenia. The funds spent on New Year’s corporate gifts in the past were donated to fire-fighters, civil protection, health care and road safety of children in all 12 regional units. Over 70 preventive projects were supported over three years. For example, the public awareness campaign about the use of defibrillators was carried out and the purchase of 30 automated external defibrillators was co-financed.
- The Company donated funds to the Tolmin Mountain Rescue Station for the purchase of the lifting and lowering system for the injured and additional medical equipment.
- At the opening and closing events of the sixth the Let’s Clean the Mountains Drive, members of the Mountain Rescue Association of Slovenia demonstrated to the mountaineers how to behave properly in the mountains and how to act in the event of an accident. The Mountain Guide application is available to mountaineers for free as is online planning of mountain paths with more than 4,000 peaks in Slovenia, which was upgraded in cooperation with the Alpine Association of Slovenia.
- Policyholders are financially encouraged to maintain and improve anti-fire systems, purchase fire alarms and the systems of access control/intruder detection. Investments are made in the maintenance and purchase of equipment for volunteer fire services. Triglav Osiguranje, Belgrade co-financed fire safety measures.
- Triglav Osiguranje, Belgrade financed preventive measures aimed at raising the awareness of amateur basketball players about various sports injuries.
Sponsorship and donations
The good practice of granting sponsorship funds and making donations through tenders and calls for partnership cooperation was continued in 2016. The calls for tender were published on www.triglav.eu, attracting 1,836 applications. A total of 36.9% of all applications were accepted.
The Company adhered to the revised Sponsorship and Donation Strategy and assessment of applications using the predefined criteria, which allows more optimal selection and effectiveness of sponsorships. The commissions considering the applications ensure that the partnerships are compliant with Zavarovalnica Triglav’s brand identity and values.
Sponsorhip and donation funds
In 2016, the Triglav Group allocated EUR 3.2 million to sponsorships or 13% more than in 2015. The largest portion of these funds was granted to sports and recreational activities, followed by partnerships in culture, education, health care and environmental protection.
EUR 302 thousand or 3% less than the year before was used for donations. Humanitarian projects received most funds. This amount includes the donation made to the "Everything Will Be Alright” Institute for corporate social responsibility projects. The activities of the Institute are discussed in greater detail below.
Amounts for sponsorships and donations of the Triglav Group in 2014–2016
Amounts for sponsorships and donations of Zavarovalnica Triglav in 2014–2016
* This amount includes the donation made to the "Everything Will Be Alright” Institute.
Sponsorship structure of Zavarovalnica Triglav in 2016 by content
Donation structure of Zavarovalnica Triglav in 2016 by content